A bassinet mattress is a must have for any new parent. Just like adults, sleep is important for babies especially in the first few months after birth. This is the period where they can sleep upto 12 hours in a day.Therefore, having a good bassinet mattress will make life easy for both baby and parents.
Settling for a good bassinet mattress can be a challenge especially if the bassinet you have might have been a gift or a used one. Finding a compatible bassinet mattress can indeed wear you down.
Why a Bassinet Mattress
As a new parent, there are reasons as to why you would prefer a bassinet to a crib;
You intent to co-sleep with your baby – A bassinet makes it easier as it can pulled close to the bed and so you have your baby right next to you
You want to sleep with your baby in the same room but its too small to fit a crib in. Most cribs are indeed large and if you have limited space, a bassinet might do the job in the first 3months of your baby’s life.
You intend to travel – With travelling and sleeping out of your home, a bassinet passes easily this is because it can be folded nicely and fit into almost any room- Unlike a crib that can be hectic and heavy.
You plan to have your baby around – With a bassinet, you can navigate easily with your baby in the room and complete your chores easily while keeping an eye on your baby.
Wound healing- If you’ve just had a c-section, then a bassinet will be useful. It will make work easy for you-watching your baby hence enabling quick healing. Additionally, you dont need to keep your baby in your arms throughout.
There are various factors to consider when buying a good bassinet mattress and that involves enough research in order to settle for the best.
Factors to consider when buying a bassinet mattress
Size of the bassinet mattress
Knowing the size of your bassinet is crucial as this gives you the guideline on what size of a bassinet mattress to settle for.
Currently, there are no distinct standard measurements of bassinets neither for the bassinet mattresses. Although there is a range of the length of about 26-31inches and depth of around an inch.
Shape of the bassinet mattress
Bassinets come in different shapes depending on ones taste although most are either oval or square shaped. Thus when you choosing a bassinet mattress, settle with one that fits the bassinet and vice versa.
A firm bassinet mattress
This can never be stressed enough. A firm mattress is the best for any bassinet. This has shown to reduce incidences of SIDS in babies.
ASTM has set its standards that the matress should be firm and less than 1inch in thickness.
Material of the mattress
Having your baby’s mattress made of 100% organic is important. Materials like cotton are the best although quite costly. But any parent would go to any length to ensure their baby is safe.
It is recommended to know the exact material your baby’s mattress is made of in order to avoid inhalation of toxins.
Every parent wishes to buy an item that can last their babies upto the desired age. A bassinet matress is no different. Therefore get a quality mattress even if it means to stretch your finances and be grateful in the long run.
It might look cost effective buying a cheap mattress but what benefit will it have if you go back to buy another one in less than 2 months?
With that said, there are various bassinet matresses and below is a compilation of top 5 best bassinet mattresses;
Your baby is ensured of a goodnight sleep with this bassinet mattress because not only is it firm but gives maximum comfort
- Filled with Ecofoam cotton and soy
- Waterproof and stain resistant
- High density foam
- Measures 13L x 1W x 30H inches
- Weighs 1.4 pounds, hence light to carry around
- Comes with various shapes on the edges from round to rectangle
- The round shaped edges cannot fit a rectangular shaped bassinet
This bassinet mattress comes with stylish features that are just suitable for any parent looking for one.
- Made of urethane foam
- Has a beautiful rose pattern on the surface
- Its edges are round and comes in a nice oval shape
- Measures 12inches by 29inches by 2inches
- Compatible with oval shaped bassinets only
This bassinet mattress is made of 100% certified cotton
- 100% cotton
- Waterproof cover that is easy to clean
- Non toxic, No PVC,
- Hypoallergenic /dust mite barrier
- Ecofriendly foam
- Designed for the HALLO Bassinets swivel sleeper
This bassinet mattress is by far the best in the market. Not is it cost effective but gives comfort to your baby.
- Waterproof surface that can be easily wiped
- Meets fire safety requirements
- Waterproof vinyl cover
- Made in USA
- 2 inches thickness
- Comes with rectangular and round edges that might not be compatible with your bassinet. Hence ensure it fits well
5 of 5. Babies R Us Oval Bassinet Pad
This bassinet mattress is another great product that will ensures good sleep for your baby
- Comes in a rectangle and oval shape to suit any of the bassinets
- Waterproof quilt cover that ensures its dry and lasts long
- Comes with dimensions of 13inchesby 27inches with a depth of 2inches
- Easy to clean
- The different shapes might not fit your bassinet. Hence pick depending with your bassinet’s shape and size
The above are the top best bassinet mattresses that will ensure your baby has a peaceful night and give you that peace of mind as a new parent.