Choosing the best diaper rash cream for your newborn baby can be hectic as a new mother. Indeed diaper rash for any baby can be very painful.
What Is a Diaper Rash?
It is easy for you to notice as it appears as a red rash around your babies genitals and rump region and in through the inner thighs. If left untreated for long periods of time it can begin to bleed which makes it even more painful for your baby.
Almost all babies will get diaper rash sometime in their young years. It is one of the most normal things that happen to them and it does not mean in any way you are a bad parent.
What Causes Diaper Rash in My Baby?
There are a few primary causes of diaper rash that you should be aware of.
- First of all your baby may be sensitive to the urine- When your baby is in diapers, the bum is never that dry.There is still some moisture brought about by the urine, this might irritate your baby’s skin and make it easy to get a rash.
- They may also be sensitive to certain types of diapers- As a new mother, you might be a little confused on what type of diapers to buy and how your baby will react to them. You might notice a rash with a change in a diaper brand.Therefore, when you see this, just stop using that brand.
- If you are using cloth diapers they may be allergic to the soap that you are washing them in- This might need you drop the soap or use the ones with no dyes and perfumes.
- If you leave a soiled diaper on your baby too long-When your baby’s stool mixes with urine it relaeases a chemical called ammonia which irritates the skin. Therefore, change a soiled diaper immediately the baby is done
- If their diapers are too small – Small diapers create tension to your baby’s bum and might cause moisture that will eventually react with your baby
- Use of Antibiotic- When treating a bacterial infection in your baby, the doctor will give you an antibiotic. It will kill the bacteria and the normal in your baby’s stomach causing a diarrhea or yeast infection.
All of these can be associated with why your baby has developed a rash. There are other causes but these are the main ones. Now that you know the general causes of a diaper rash you are now probably wondering how you can treat it.
How to prevent a diaper Rash at home
There are a range of diaper rash treatments available. Some of them have been passed down through your family for years while others are more traditional like the ones below.
- You must first be sure that you keep the affected area cool and dry. You can do through changing a solid diaper right away. Once you have wiped the affected area clean and there is no residue remaining you can apply a diaper rash cream such as Desitin.
- Try and pat the area dry after cleaning the area well.
- Use a reputable diaper rash cream and apply it each time you change the diaper until the rash disappears.
- Soak your baby’s genital region in warm soapy water or you can even use warm wash rags versus using baby wipes. Baby wipes contain a perfume which can irritate the area and make the rash worse.
Why do I need A diaper rash cream
Diaper rash creams help protect and prevent an occurrence of a diaper rash. The cream acts as a barrier between the urine or stool and your baby’s bottom.
The cream also treats the diaper rash that has already occurred by ensuring your baby’s bottom is as dry hence no more contact with the urine or stool. Some of these creams have soothing and anti-inflammatory ingredients.
Best Diaper Rash Cream For Newborns
No matter how much you try to prevent them, diaper rashes do happen. When a baby has a diaper rash they become very irritable due to the amount of pain the poor thing is in. The best way that you can use to clear the rash and relieve the pain is by using a good diaper rash cream.
The challenge might now come on settling for the best diaper rash cream with so many in the market, You might be confused.That is why I take the hassle from you and give a review of the best diaper rash cream for newborns in the market that will give you value for your money.
Here is a list of the top 10 best diaper rash cream :
1 of 5
This diaper rash cream picks the number one position because of its organic properties. For mothers who use cloth diapers, this is the cream to go to it lacks petrolatum and zinc oxide which is found in almost all diaper rash creams.
Most of these ingredients tend to leave stains on the diaper which is totally different from this organic diaper rash cream.
- Free from allergens
- Has both antifungal and antibacterial properties
- Safe on cloth diapers
- It is made from organic herbs and oils
- A strong essential smell
- When left in the cold it would for some hard balls on the cream
- It is fairly expensive compared to other diaper rash creams
2 of 5
It contains selected minimal ingredients and has no mineral oils, parabens or colour.
The calendula in it offers a soothing effect to your baby’s bottom. Additionally has vitamin B5 and E which soothes the baby skin especially the highly sensitive babies. Dermatologically formulated for sensitive babies
- Calmly soothes a sensitive skin
- Has some organic ingredients
- Creates a barrier that prevents a diaper rash
- It is light and easy to apply
- It is not that thick which makes it easy to come off
- The smell is not that pleasant
3 0f 5
An all natural diaper rash that boasts of being among the top best natural diaper rash cream in the market today. Has zinc that soothes your baby’s delicate skin by a creating a moisture barrier, has sunflower oil, shea butter, beeswax, vitamin E and even rosemary!
- Gentle on baby’s skin
- All natural hence safe
- Cloth diaper safe
- It’s all organic
- Some of the natural ingredients can be allergens
- Somehow thick that makes application hard
4 of 5
Contains amazing ingredients namely; Zinc, Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Peruvian Balsam and Petrolatum. These helps heal and prevent any diaper rash forming on your baby’s bottom. It has been clinically tested and approved by paediatricians. It forms a thick paste that creates a barrier on your baby’s bottom, therefore, reducing any moisture that may cause a rash.
- Can be used to prevent and treat diaper rash
- Has only six ingredients that are safe
- It is thick enough to stick on the skin
- Free from Dye, Paraben and other preservatives
- Contains petrolatum
- Thick that it makes it hard to apply to the skin
5 of 5
For years this diaper rash cream has been known to restore, soothe and prevent diaper rash in babies. It has glycerin that makes your baby’s skin smooth and soft.It is also multipurpose, it can be used for the face and other parts of the body
- Have multiple uses other than the bum
- Helps protect diaper rash
- Promotes healing of the diaper rash
- Good for sensitive skin
- Leaves marks on clothes
- Has petrolatum
- It can be greasy
Top Pick best diaper rash cream for newborns
Well, with the above review there is one Ointment I would definitely recommend. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment takes the day.I love it because of it’s multiple uses.It is not limited to the bum alone and I have had friends who have used it on their children for treatment of Eczema.
How do I prevent My Baby from Getting a Diaper Rash Again?
Now you have the rash all cleared up no you are probably wondering what you can do to prevent it from coming back in the future. Well along with the diaper rash treatment there are a variety of prevention tips as well.
- Change your baby’s diaper as soon as it is soiled
- Do not apply a new diaper till the area is clean and dry
- You can also consider purchasing a different brand of diapers
- Be sure to continue using your diaper rash solution cream
- Use warm wash cotton wool or cloth over baby wipes
- Change your laundry soap if you use cloth diapers.
- Make sure that your baby’s diaper is not tight as it will not breath